The Hobie Mirage i9S kayak is designed with the concept of being highly portable, easy to store, and extremely durable. The on the water performance of the Hobie Mirage will surprise you in its comparison to that of rigid hull kayaks. This unique kayak is powered by not only the hand paddles but also the patented MirageDrive pedal. This kayak has pedals that are attached to the level above the seat. They are connected to underwater fins by gear machinery. When you paddle, you use your large and powerful leg muscles to make kayaking more efficient than ever as you transform the fins into a propeller blade. No more tired arms after being on the water all day!
Hobie Mirage i9S Kayak Features
- Durability: The Hobie Mirage i9S kayak is constructed with 1000 denier PVC. It features a “Drop Stitch Floor.” This innovative design is a method of construction that allows for higher inflation pressures. Thousands of tiny threads bring together the layers of the floor of the kayak, counterbalancing air pressure and allowing for incomparable rigidity while keeping the craft lightweight at 66lbs.
- Portability: The Hobie Mirage i9S kayak features a rolling storage bag! Transport could not be easier as this inflatable kayak folds into its own storage bag on wheels so you are able to transport alone without back strain.
- MirageDrive pedals: These pedals are adjustable so that you can customize your kayak according to your height. They are designed with roller bearings at major friction points for a smooth ride. The ST Fin square-top design increases the surface of the fin with a length of one foot for even more efficiency with each turn of the pedal propelling you forward.
- Storage: This kayak has a large cargo area with bungee tie-down to store all of your essentials for all day or overnight camping trips.
- Additional Features: The Hobie Mirage has a weight capacity of 325 lbs. It has an adjustable high back padded seat and four piece paddle with aluminum shaft, hand pump, and carry handles.
- Optional Features (not included): Sail kit, Plug in Cart, Electric Pump, Rod Holder, eVolve Electric Motor and fish finder kit.
Hobie Mirage i9S Kayak Customer Reviews
The Hobie Mirage i9S kayak has great reviews from many of its owners. The following is an overview of what customers like about this pedal inflatable kayak:
- Fast Set-up: Reviewers clock the set up time on the Hobie i9S kayak to be about 10 minutes. 5 minutes to inflate and 5 minutes to put in the seats. Deflating the kayak takes about the same amount of time. However, it is recommended to rinse and dry the kayak before returning it to storage. This will help prevent mold from forming, from trapped water which is crucial for the long life of your kayak.
- Comfortable: The high backed seating provides a comfortable ride with plenty of support for long day trips. The adjustable pedals are a wonderful feature to accommodate for different shapes and sizes. This inflatable kayak offers superior comfort as opposed to the hardness of a standard kayak.
- Efficient: The rudder and the steering are accurate. The Hobie Mirage i9S kayak handles well in oceans, bays, and light surf. The propeller blades powered by the kayaker’s legs allow you to move faster and further without wearing out.
- Portable: The storage bag for the Hobie Mirage i9S kayak is on wheels! This is a great kayak for travelers as this can be pulled behind you as you would regular luggage. The kayak bag measures 30” X 25” X 12”. Store it in the car, the RV, etc and take it on vacation with you.
- Sturdy: This kayak will not tip. The Drop Stitch Floor design and the added centered weight of the MirageDrive concept add a rigidity and sturdiness to this inflatable kayak.
Hobie Mirage i9S Kayak Cons
- Price Tag: You will find the Hobie Mirage to be significantly higher priced than other inflatable kayaks on the market. However, for the many added features, this may be a fair trade for the avid paddler looking for the portability and quality performance of this inflatable pedal kayak.
For the outdoor lover who is short on space but loves an adventure on the water, the Hobie Mirage i9S kayak could be the right kayak for you. With its storage case on wheels this is the ultimate design for the traveling kayaker. You can bring it with you on your travels and try out waterways near and far. The pedal feature makes for extreme efficiency on the water. You will not need to take breaks to rest your weary arms. Let your legs do the work and get you where you need to go fast. Explore remote areas where hard shelled kayaks cannot go with this inflatable kayak. Using the Hobie Mirage i9S kayak is a totally different experience than your standard paddle kayak. Fly over open water, explore new places, and be out on the water for longer periods of time without tiring! READ MORE OWNER REVIEWS HERE⇒