The Airhead AHTK-2 Montana Performance kayak is designed for lakes and moderate whitewater. This 2-person inflatable kayak is great for camping, vacations, and hiking because it is light enough to carry and small enough to transport in small vehicles. The kayak was designed for superior comfort, greater buoyancy, and excellent tracking.
Airhead AHTK-2 Montana Performance Kayak Features
- Comfortable and Spacious: The Airhead AHTK-2 Montana Performance kayak is 12-feet long, offering more space than the 10 ft. model. It has removable, inflatable seats with back support. There is plenty of storage with six D-rings at the bow and stern to secure your gear and also stretch net in the bow for added space. It is designed with a tubular I-beam floor for ultimate comfort. It features neoprene elbow guards for added comfort and front and back spray covers to keep you dry.
- Durable and Safe: The Airhead AHTK-2 Montana Performance Kayak is made with semi-rigid heavy gauge PVC. It has a weight capacity of 500 lbs. allowing easily for two people and their gear. All three air chambers are totally enclosed by 840-denier nylon. It is coated to make it sun and water resistant. The floor is reinforced with durable tri-laminate. The hardware is designed with stainless steel and nylon so will not corrode. The highly visible, orange color makes you easy to spot on the water by other water craft, even at long distances.
- Portable: The Airhead AHTK-2 Montana Performance kayak weighs about 30 lbs. and fits easily into the trunk of your car or in a duffle bag. It’s easy to store at home, even with minimal space. When deflated, the kayak features nylon straps for carrying from car to shoreline or even down trails to more remote locations.
- Additional Features: The Airhead AHTK-2 Montana Performance kayak is easy to inflate and deflate in 5 minutes and offers low drag and superior tracking with four bottom fins. Grab handles allow for easy put in and take out and for carrying over shallow, rough areas.
Airhead AHTK-2 Montana Performance Kayak Customer Reviews
The Airhead AHTK-2 Montana Performance kayak has some positive reviews from its owners. The following is an overview of what customers liked about this 2-person inflatable kayak:
- Sturdy and Durable: Customers submitting reviews on the Airhead AHTK-2 Montana Performance kayak rave about this kayak’s rugged durability and superior quality standing the test of time. People report years of use with no issues or leaks even when rubbing and dragging over the bottom of the rivers over rocks, sticks, and debris. The tri-laminate reinforcements on the bottom of the kayak make it considerably puncture resistant.
- Safe: The Airhead AHTK-2 Montana Performance kayak will stay upright in the water. Customers reported children and dogs climbing and jumping in and out of the kayak with no fear of overturning. The kayak handles moderate rapids with ease and does not tip easily.
- Easy to Handle: The Airhead AHTK-2 Montana Performance kayak tracks well with its four fins. Customers rave about its ease in maneuvering and that it doesn’t require much effort to keep on a straight path. Day long trips are a breeze with the Airhead AHTK-2 Montana Performance kayak.
Airhead AHTK-2 Montana Performance Kayak Cons
- No Storage Bag, Pump, or Paddle: None of these necessities are included with the purchase of the Airhead AHTK-2 Montana Performance kayak and must be purchased separately adding an additional cost to the purchase price of your kayak. Some customers suggest purchasing a duffle bag for ease of transport but others are satisfied with the nylon straps available when the kayak is deflated and folded for storage. We would suggest these paddles and this hand pump.
- Slighlt deflation: This kayak can deflates a bit on the water. Customers suggest that you bring the pump with you or inflate the kayak and let it sit on the water for about 20 minutes and then add more air. This apparent losing of air can be attributed to the air in the bladders getting chilled by cool water and losing volume.
- Removable Bladders: The removable bladders on the Airhead AHTK-2 Montana Performance Kayak can make maintenance cumbersome. Both water and sand can get in between the bladder and the cover. This must be cleaned out before putting the kayak away to prevent mold or corrosion from the sand. Some customers report that draining this part of the kayak and letting it air dry can take days. Putting the kayak away dry is crucial so this has proven to be a bother to some customers.
The Airhead AHTK-2 Montana Performance kayak is a quality purchase for those dedicated paddlers who do not want to invest in a hard shelled kayak. The simplicity of being able to keep it in the trunk and not needing a car rack is another bonus. It also offers comfort and plenty of space for two, plus gear. The Airhead AHTK-2 Montana Performance kayak is wonderful for children and adults alike for its safety, stability and durability. This kayak tracks well, is easy to maneuver, and is built to be stable and rugged so you do not have to worry about punctures or tipping. Just be sure to add the cost of a quality hand pump and paddles so you can get out on the water without delay!